HOW DO JUNIOR GOLF SCOREBOARD RANKINGS WORK?
Learn more about eligibility and ranking calculations for the Junior Golf Scorecard as well as the Golfweek/Titleist rankings.
JUNIOR GOLF SCOREBOARD
All HJGT events on our schedule are ranked by JGS. To be eligible to be ranked in The Junior Golf Scoreboard rankings a player must meet the following criteria:
• Completes at least 36 holes
• Has a minimum of five competitors that complete all scheduled rounds
• Has played from a minimum of 4,500 yards and not shorter than the forward most USGA-rated tee
• There is no stroke limit rule in place
HOW RANKINGS ARE CALCULATED
We use three criteria to compute a player’s overall rank against all players within their graduation class.
For the 65% of the player’s rounds that are his/her lowest scoring differentials, this is simply the average difference of their score compared to the USGA rating of the courses they played in their tournaments. In other words, how well this player scores when playing in tournaments. This criteria counts for 65% of a player’s ranking calculation.
STRENGTH OF FIELD
The number displayed here is the result of our proprietary ranking formula that determines a score for all the tournaments played by this individual. Again, simply put, a lower number means they played against stronger players and the closer two players’ strength numbers are, the more similar the competitiveness of their tournaments. This criteria counts for 25% of a player’s ranking calculation.
STRENGTH OF FINISH
This table displays the finishes for the player. Finishes count 10% in the ranking computation and are weighted in accordance with the number of players competing against or, in other words, the size of the field.
Special Note: The Junior Golf Scoreboard has made a conscious effort to rely more on scoring than on how big the tournaments were that a competitor played in. Selected national tournaments still play an important role in determining the rankings, but the system also lets any multi-day stroke play tournament count. The Junior Golf Scoreboard believes this will make for a more inclusive approach and will bring recognition to more players.
For additional information on the Junior Golf Scoreboard, please visit their website, www.juniorgolfscoreboard.com.
The following list is an explanation of each category Sagarin uses to formulate his rankings:
This is NOT a stroke average. The rating is calculated using a player’s record, stroke differential and connection to all the other players in the database. However, It does represent the typical score you can expect a player to shoot; the difference between two ratings predicts the difference between two players in a typical round.
The average strength of each event in which the player has played, calculated using the power ratings of every player in every field.
This table displays the finishes for the player. Finishes count 10% in the ranking computation and are weighted the player’s schedule is ranked by difficulty among the entire database in accordance with the number of players competing against or, in other words, the size of the field.
A player’s won-lost-tied record, based on head-to-head competition, in each category. The winner in a 156-player field has a record of 155-0-0, the runner-up is 154-1-0, etc.
GLOBAL JUNIOR GOLF RANKINGS
Junior golfers between the ages of 5-19 that have competed in two or more eligible, one-day or multi-day stroke play tournaments will be ranked under the following, four criteria:
TOURNAMENT SCORE (80%)
After all tournament results are submitted, the total rankings are then calculated to exclude 20% of a player’s scoring differential. This remaining 80% is the new score which will be compared to the yardage and difficulty of the course. This is also the average difference of players’ individual round scores compared to tournament rounds completed in the last one-year period.
Accounting for 10% of the ranking calculation, the number displayed is the result of a player playing against another competitor in the same GJGR tournament event.
TOP-FIVE FINISH (5%)
This criteria displays the finishes for a player. Top-five finishes will count for 5% toward the final ranking, which means the more tournaments a competitor finishes in the top five, the more credit he receives for the Finish.
Weather will account for up to 5% of the total ranking calculation. Please see a chart here with weather details.
The Hurricane Tour annual membership is the best value in junior golf! Whether you are brand new to competitive junior golf or a seasoned veteran hoping to impress college coaches, HJGT’s exclusive membership will enhance your tour experience.